Monday, April 23, 2007

Missions?

This speech was done about a month ago. A friend of my brother's posted it awhile back and it started some good discussion. I'm presenting here, again, for a couple of reasons.

1)I don't believe we are currently fighting a war on terrorism. We are fighting a war on poverty. This strictly between the "haves" and the "have nots." Unfortunately the world view on our country is not the same as the citizens of this country. Many people see us as a greedy, consuming people who care nothing about who is in our way of our goal, whatever that may be. If we used some of our resources to help some of these people we could help tremendously. (Not relying on our government of coarse, we all know how they spend their money). It is very difficult to hate or bomb someone who just fed you. Who just built a new school in your village. Who just saved hundreds or thousands of people with a simple vaccine. Unfortunately our government does not see this, and we lose more soldiers and resources in a fight that can not be won by violence.

2)Before I get to my second reason, watch this...





The world has a warped view on Missionaries, or "Missions." In fact, even though I grew up in a Baptist church, I don't think I really understood the concept, or more accurately understood why? Why? When we have our own country in need. There are people who have an overwhelming urge to sell their positions and move to a different country to make a difference in peoples lives, who do not have the same liberties as we Americans do. My brother Aaron is one of these individuals. I can not tell you how proud I am. Why? I could never do this myself. He and his family are moving to Texas for some training, then proceeding to Mexico to live. To help people who are less fortunate. He believes, as do I, that he will be able to make an impact and change peoples lives.

Bono's call is to Africa. My brother Aaron's is to Mexico. God bless you both. You are in my prayers.

4 comments:

Vickie said...

See...now there you go. God is with us, when we are with them. That seems to be the most logical answer to me. Bless them both ... I'm with you on that Matt. Aaron is (what I like to call) "Walking his Faith". He's not talking, he's doing. I'm so proud of him! Wow that's awesome! Tell Aaron many blessing from "the girl with no religion" ;-)

Vickie

Anonymous said...

thanks for your encouraging words. May God lead our family to those who need Him most. thank you for your prayers.

Anonymous said...

maybe now the link will show up.

Uvulapie said...

And oddly enough, my brother's "call" has been to Hamtramck, Michigan with the ultimate goal of Africa.