Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Name your top 5 bands in 5 seconds...Go!

I asked that in my small group a few months ago. I always thought I could tell a little about a person by the kind of music they listen to. One person was actually able to answer within the allotted time, even I hesitated. As always I answered with a question, "Depends on my mood." (That really wasn't a question but you get the idea). There are always a least 2 or 3 in my top 5, but the others change from time to time. So this time around I thought I would list my top 10 favorite bands/artists of all time. These are artists I just can't live without. They are not just "cool" this stuff actually moves me. To the point that I will stop what I am doing and just listen. I can feel the emotion and it stirs something inside me. That was the criteria I used to compile my list. Now these are not in any particular order, except for the last one. The last entry, hands down, if I had to rid myself of all my musical library and could only keep one album, it would be the last one I list here. I thought I would have a difficult time listing these but after I got going it wasn't hard at all, especially the last one.

So without further ado:
The Sisters of Mercy
Bauhaus
The Cure
Depeche Mode
Faith No More
Primus
King's X
The Cult
Pink Floyd
Leonard Cohen (album; The Essential Leonard Cohen)

Now these may not be the best bands ever to pick up an instrument or pen, but they speak to me. I love music, you could say I have a passion for it, though I have no talent in it. The things I do have a talent for, I don't necessarily have a passion for. Isn't that funny, it makes me appreciate those who do have the talent all the more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. U2
2. John Mayer
3. Jack Johnson
4. David Crowder
5. James Blunt

Anonymous said...

So Ruth told me to take this one...she said to name the album I would take if I were to be stranded on a desert island, to which I replied...Can't I just take my iPod???? She said no. So I tried to pick 5...just couldn't decide. So here are my top 10 albums instead of just bands...in no particular order, except the first one is the one I would take to my "Lost" experience. (Apparently I'm not so good at following your "5 bands in 5 seconds rule"...I'm such a rebel!!!

1. John Mayer "Room for Squares"
2. Alanis Morissete "Under Rug Swept"
3. Blue October "Foiled"
4. Dave Matthews Band "Busted Stuff"
5. George Michael "Listen Without Prejudice"
6. Van Morrison "Moondance"
7. Train "My Private Nation"
8. The soundtrack from "Rent"
9. Jewel "This Way"
10. R.E.M. "Automatic For the People"

By the way, Leonard Cohen, eh? I used to be obsessed with "A Thousand Kisses Deep" and "I'm Your Man"...it's been years!!! I'll have to d/l some Leonard now, thanks to you!!!

Ruth said...

Okay, now should I list bands or albums?!? LOL I think I'll go with k.c.'s route and list favorite albums, with my "Lost" experience in the number one slot, and the rest in no particular order! :)

1. Sinead O'Connor "The Lion and The Cobra" (or maybe "So Far... the Best of Sinead O'Connor"?)
2. The Sisters of Mercy "Floodland"
3. The Cure "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me" (or "Disintegration"?)
4. Depeche Mode "101" (or "Music for the Masses"?)
5. Peter Murphy "Deep"
6. Yaz "Upstairs at Eric's"
7. U2 "The Joshua Tree"
8. R.E.M. "Green"
9. Erasure "The Innocents" (or "Pop! - 20 Hits"?)
10. either Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories "Tails" or Counting Crows "August and Everything After"

Yes, I know I have a problem... I just can't commit to an absolute favorite album from some of these artists!

Anonymous said...

Ruth's idea, this...

Bands along w/ best of their albums

Rush-Permanent Waves
U2-Joshua Tree
Sting-Soul Cages
Fleming and John-Delusions of Grandure
Sunny Day Real Estate-The Rising Tide
Sufjan Stevens-Michigan

Tim C

Anonymous said...

Hey! I read the blog and these were the 5 bands that came to mind...but it was more like 10 seconds.
U2
Beatles
Muse
Phantom Planet
David Crowder
Nothing influenced me at the time as I was on lunch at work being forced to listen to some Gloria Estefan song. But this list may change slightly in the future.

Philip Overby said...

1. Marilyn Manson is the all time fav!!!

2. Britney Spears (b4 the breakdown and the shaved head.....no offense to Ruth and all the other Sinead lovers out there!)

3. Old School Micheal Jackson

4. Prince

5. Madonna (before the Kabala thing)